The City of Port Huron, stretching for seven miles along the shore of the St. Clair River and the base of Lake Huron, is an international border crossing marked by the spectacular Blue Water Bridge.
Port Huron’s stunning waterways and diverse annual events make it a year-round tourist destination. With its abundant attractions, high standard of living, and convenient location, Port Huron is a great place to live.
Your first step in finding that great place to live in Port Huron is Sine and Monaghan Realtors-Real Living. Sine and Monaghan have been selling homes since 1932 and has a conveniently located office in Port Huron.
Port Huron is a city with a population of 30,184 at the 2010 census. It is joined by the Blue Water Bridge over the St. Clair River to Sarnia, Ontario in Canada. The city lies at the southern end of Lake Huron and is the easternmost point on land in Michigan. Port Huron is home to a Domtar Paper Mill; Mueller Industries; Henkel and many companies related to the automobile industry. The city also features a historic downtown area, boardwalk, marina, museum, lighthouse, and the McMorran Place arena and entertainment complex.
The city was a recipient of the All-America City Award in 1955 and 2005.
In 1814, Fort Gratiot was established at the base of Lake Huron and was considered the first Euro-American population in the area. There was a Ojibwa reservation in part of the modern area of Port Huron until 1836.
In 1857, Port Huron became an incorporated city. Port Huron’s population grew rapidly after the 1850s due in part to a successful shipbuilding and lumber trade. By 1870, Port Huron’s population exceeded that of surrounding villages. In 1871, the Supreme Court designated Port Huron as the county seat.
On Sunday, October 8, 1871, the city, as well as places north in Sanilac, and Huron County, burned in the Port Huron Fire of 1871. The Thumb Fire occurred a decade later, covering almost the same area. A series of other fires leveled Holland and Manistee, Michigan, as well as Peshtigo, Wisconsin and Chicago on the same day.
Port Huron Today!
- The City of Port Huron includes 8.00 square miles and 5,120 acres of land within its corporate city limits; and more than 3,544 acres of waterways.
- Port Huron is considered the “central city” of St. Clair County and has the largest population of any municipality in the county.
- Port Huron’s Henry J. McMorran Complex contains two separate works by famed sculptor Marshall M. Fredericks, The Night and Day Fountain and a giant gold anodized aluminum Sculptured Clock.
- The City has 14 public parks, 4 smaller-sized “tot” parks, 19 playgrounds (City owned), 9 playgrounds (School owned), 33 tennis courts, including 16 at schools and 6 indoors, 2 public beaches, 2 public swimming pools, a community recreation center, 2 public scenic turnouts and a public parkway.
- Port Huron is the eastern terminus of both I-69 and I-94 and is the starting point for the Lake Huron Circle Tour.
Historic Port Huron - Port Huron currently has fourteen sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
- The Blue Water Bridge – added 1980.
- Wilbur F. Davidson House – added 1972.
- Thomas A. Edison Boyhood Homesite – added 1997.
- The Federal Building (U.S. Post Office and Custom House) – added 1974.
- Fort Gratiot Site – added 1980.
- Fort Gratiot Lighthouse – added 1976.
- Grand Trunk Western Railroad Depot (Edison Depot) – added 1977.
- The Harrington Hotel – added 1982.
- The Howard Block – added 1994.
- Huron Lightship – added 1976.
- Ladies of the Maccabees Building – added 1982.
- Military Road Historic District – added 1998.
- Seventh Street Bridge – added 2000.
- St. Clair River Tunnel – added 1980.
Port Huron currently has sixteen Michigan State Historic Markers
- Davidson House
- E. C. Williams House
- First International Tunnel
- Fort Gratiot Light
- Fort St. Joseph
- Harrington Hotel / Truman Honeymoon
- Huron Lightship
- Jefferson Sheldon House
- Methodist Episcopal Church
- Port Huron High School
- Port Huron Public Library
- St. John’s United Church of Christ
- Shiloh Baptist Church
- Thomas Edison at the Grand Trunk
- Trinity Lutheran Church
- Women’s Benefit Association
If you would love to call Port Huron Home, call Sine and Monaghan Realtors, we are here to help with all your Port Huron Real Estate needs.
- Port Huron 52
- Port Huron Twp 27
- White Plat 16
- Spruce Meadow Condo 13
- Fort Gratiot Military Reservation Sub 7
- PORT HURON ADD 5
- N. P. White's Sub 5
- Mcneil Tract 4
- James H. White's Sub 3
- SHERMAN WOODS 3
- JENKS LAPEER AVENUE 3
- Riverwood Sub No 3 3
- Hyland Plat 2
- Assessors Mansfield St Plat 2
- Westhaven Village Sub 2
- MUELLER FARMS 2
- Riverwood Sub No 4 2
- Village Of Fort Gratiot 2
- Mcneil Tract Sub Of Outlot No 17 2
- Avondale Manor 2